U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: non UV light table maybe OT

Re: non UV light table maybe OT

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: non UV light table maybe OT
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:43:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 4:23 PM
Subject: non UV light table maybe OT

Amongst other things I have been tasked withat the University of Dayton is replacing a 30 year old light table once our photo area moves across campus to a new building. Does anyone have any leads on plans for making a light table. Our area will be sharing it with the design area so it is expected to be central and large. We have a staff that can build the light table that is putting in our cabinets and sinks. Are there any plans in an old, out of print "build your own darkroom" book that can be increased in scale. At the moment I don't have a measurement for our old light table but it is approximately 3 feet by 5 feet.

-francis schanberger

www.frangst.com

    3 x 5 feet is a reasonable size, plastic stores sell highly diffuse plastic sheet that works fine for the surface, I think they come larger than this. You may want more than one layer to further diffuse the light. There are a number of variations on the source, for instance fluorescent tubes or even an array of "compact" fluorescent lamps. The latter have the advantage of fitting in ordinary medium screw-base sockets. One can get the tubes in color temperatures suitable for judging color. I think 5000K is the official temperature for graphics work.
     The inner surface can be reflecting if you like, there are flat white paints that should work.
     If the school has a sheet metal shop perhaps they could be sweet-talked into making the thing as a student project (i.e., free).
     Can any of the existing table be salvaged?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA