To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: Any experience with Pictorico PGFH White Film?

Thanks Christina. I am surprise that glossy paper can be a good digital negative material. Does it let UV pass through? I should really try Kirkland paper. I have old type made in Switzerland. I guess the current one is not. If you have time to test some of those PGFH white film please let me know - I can send you some sheets. I have some friends in photographic material/graphic arts business and sometimes they sent me samples to try out.

By the way your website is cool. I especially like the photo "Sizing paper Montana-style" :).

- Philip

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
Hi Philip,
I have used the Pictorico Pro Photo Gallery Hi-Gloss White Film with BW only. No need with alternative processes. I did a side by side comparison of this and plain old cheap Kirkland Professional Ink Jet Glossy paper and found that the latter worked just as well and the sharpness/resolution was surprisingly close to the Pictorico, close enough to not warrant paying a buck or two a sheet vs. 12 cents. In fact, I just taught curve calibration to 18 students using it for our negative substrate.

In a side by side comparison, the Pictorico white was quite a bit denser--my data is at the office but if I remember, it required a stop (maybe it was 2/3) more exposure than the Kirkland. But my stuff is the 6.7 mils/170 micrometers/213g/m2/iso brightness 92, thicker than that, below.

Perhaps they have created a thinner substrate, because both of the above created a "bleed" . I've posted an image here for you to show what I mean. The little square test targets are 1 pixel, 2 pixels, 3 pixels, and 4 pixels each little dot so it is a scan of 8 of these teeny 1/4 inch squares, courtesy of Mark Nelson's PDN system tonal palettes. Those little test targets come in so handy for resolution comparisons:
Chris

http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=2448

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/