U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Wood panel preparation (Keith?)

Wood panel preparation (Keith?)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Wood panel preparation (Keith?)
  • From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:30:15 +0200 (EET)

I will try to print gum on wood panels (marine grade plywood). I will try
two different grounds: 1) Acrylic ground + whiting (I presume that's what
you do Keith?) 2) Traditional gesso ground...

1) Keith, what is your acrylic formula? I plan to dilute acrylic gesso 1:1
with water and then add equal amnt. of calcium carbonate (marble dust) and
some white pigment into it. For instance: 50g acrylic gesso + 50ml water +
50g calcium carbonate + 10g titanium dioxide (titanium white -> purest /
brightest white pigment).

2) Traditional gesso: 100ml water + 10g hide (or rabbitskin) glue (high
bloom gelatin) + 60g calcium carbonate + 12g titanium white.

I need a good working recipe and application (and finishing) procedure for
#2. BTW, traditional gesso is a PIA! (Have to keep it hot + it doesn't set
quickly, so takes awfully long to complete 4 - 6 layers...)

Another questions:

1. Do you harden the traditional gesso ground?

2. Do you add a hardened gelatin layer on top of the acrylic (or
traditional gesso) ground?

Thanks in advance,
Loris.