U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Wood panel preparation (Keith?)

Re: Wood panel preparation (Keith?)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Wood panel preparation (Keith?)
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:22:24 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding;bh=sK1V7qRrXcgnsiIUVVfpMwdlg9y7WBlScjgpyjiMmf0=;b=hhkxxfJ1SRfZGMg+1foaX34W+yucjzqXML+thCPqMq7GpoX+X2QjHe7kzjbtxaUFEzCgmCagYPWR0MKoo9odEKBM3m5jrWTgGs+4UBDRfmkGRMCYdrBVN1FvXYoaBa6n8tsUd4vrA6goEPzgas4Vjd2GJNjZ1KApIp/+z2fi7pU=

Hi Loris!

The #1 formula you present is very similar to the one I use with great
success:  1:1 Liquitex acrylic gesso to water and then to that 1:1
dilute gesso to pumice by volume.  That produces a surface that acts
very similar to paper, so I size it with gelatin and hardener.  This
mix is very good for coating porous surfaces such as wood, plaster
(spackle-ed wood) and old gumprints on paper.  For surfaces such as
aluminum and glass, bubbles of water tend to form between the surface
and the gesso with long soaks.  For these surfaces I do not use
acylic, preferring to mix up a concoction of gelatin, pumice and
marble powder.  I haven't used this in a while and I haven't reduced
it to a recipe, but essentially it is a gelatin mix (the same as used
for sizing paper) with 50% pumice and marble.  It produces a surface
that is so hard that it is actually very hard to remove even with a
belt sander!

Hope this helps