U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: First layer on aluminum with acrylic + CaCO3 ground

Re: First layer on aluminum with acrylic + CaCO3 ground

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: First layer on aluminum with acrylic + CaCO3 ground
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:05:00 -0600
  • Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
  • Delivered-to: alt-photo-process-l-archive@www.usask.ca
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding;bh=nE8hYQbZnxK5eKnc1t4AQCxJVf7+PEOTWGSI9ZilcDY=;b=tP6uw1NXJB33UFrmZMpyFH7/1OnS+oZj39VSPW5vE4eX37uEq/5CmsSMTrhJpNti6rDfnEp1Bo6aQG0Ix6UIkSX99RQ+u3EwCvbnNpQZlHjzw9NHvKJWV2jdaA+yVfHRiIYui3Q1iuR/+8BcgJgiA4fa1Kd6UykY3MVslKwL3+s=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;b=kUp5eoDNsfak/ZpMed22lUdMw7epJFxj0yn4ZEnmwANuNExwuxXsdCFYHkMpcJ7wcuXbHgZgwEaJNPNdOJD9hGwwlCYiPxPpRRnUsjD1+STKUbXGKggpzgJKBeo+BT6WyhV99du9fXaWemoyJyNl+vpmtyOIkF18i3MlKkZNxH4=
  • In-reply-to: <49270.>
  • List-id: alt-photo-process mailing list <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
  • References: <49270.>
  • Reply-to: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

I can't wait to see the completed work - it looks to be a winner.

I'll be interested in hearing whether you experience the problem I
sometime have when working with gessoed aluminum.  Pretty minor and
inconsistent (meaning it doesn't always happen), but sometimes bubbles
of water creep in between the aluminum and the gesso and threaten to
lift it off.  They usually dry down just fine.  But the problem
becomes rather more pronounced when I attempt to recycle a used print
by re-coating a bad print with more gesso.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name> wrote:
> I did my fist layer on an aluminum sheet prepared by putting four layers
> of acrylic + CaCO3 mixture (using a foam roller) plus a hardened 1.5%
> gelatin layer. I didn't sand the ground -> for a more pictorial effect.
> Also, I used a plain paper negative.
> The layer coats and exposes very nicely. It needs a little more brushing
> than paper, otherwise behaves pretty much the same. (Exactly as noted by
> Keith before...)
> I like much this media; will finish the print (taking notes), to get the
> hang on the surface...
> See the first layer here:
> http://tinyurl.com/czbt2q
> Regards,
> Loris.
> P.S. Keith, this is truly wonderful -> finally got my hands on something I
> really really want to do! :) I'm sorting/selecting images like crazy ->
> for lots lots of negatives/prints...