RE: OT: Photoshop CS4 upgrade overpriced
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: RE: OT: Photoshop CS4 upgrade overpriced
- From: EJN Photo <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:24:02 -0500
- Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net;h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:From:To:References:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:In-reply-to:X-MIMEOLE:Thread-index;b=1p4DPBd0uRbL/FfLT9Q1vHrprSIRikTPwP+gS1813RYCaGicfdrss/BmiGN4AwmBs4uDpMhA/f6m0AL9w4UqTzqnLfUOEckrM94Jmh4quR3TXChvtFbPC45uhtRb8RoNx3B+SIxvOraX783kxG/oFffy1plFj3LKnr9kG6PZEao= ;
- In-reply-to: <9DCDCE1D-043F-4E3F-8619-58F02F1C81F9@aol.com>
- List-id: alt-photo-process mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <49B3BA80.email@example.com><9DCDCE1D-043F-4E3F-8619-58F02F1C81F9@aol.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thread-index: AcmgC4HTVZF4GPU+SNKFKbGX2kIx4wAH4c3Q
Greg, I too am in that boat. I had CS Design Premium and upgraded to CS3
design Premium which included the ext version of PS. Now with the next
version upon us, the upgrade price was increased this time around. It is
almost worth taking a college class just to get a student rate and buy the
master suite for $1000 at the student rate. It might just open up some new
job opportunities too.
Good luck on your decision.
Eric Neilsen Photo
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226
From: Dan Burkholder [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: OT: Photoshop CS4 upgrade overpriced
If you can get just the Photoshop CS4 upgrade for the price mentioned
by Richard, then yes, you should go for it. The $600 you quote sounds
like an upgrade for the entire suite of products. Adobe must figure if
you're using that full batch of applications that you're making money
with all of them. That isn't always the case of course.
CS4 is another of those upgrades that hook you like crack; it's really
hard to go back to CS3 (I'm speaking just Photoshop here) after
getting a taste of the "4". I'd also add that, with CS4, Adobe has
finally moved to define Photoshop as the domain for serious image
editors and not the stuff for casual users. The transition to CS4
forces us to make some pretty major changes to the way we make
selections and masks and modify them. Don't get me wrong; the changes
are almost all for the good. It's just that the learning curve has
been steepened somewhat for those who haven't had a good workflow to
begin with. Make sense?
To throw a bit of a wrench into your decision process, the Extended
version of Photoshop offers some neat capabilities that are missing
from the Standard version of CS4. I don't think Adobe has an upgrade
path from Standard to Extended so you best decide before purchasing.
If memory serves, you can upgrade an older Standard version of CS2 or
CS3 to the Extended version of CS4 at a fair price. Just don't expect
to upgrade CS4 Standard to CS4 Extended for any price approaching
Hope this helps!
On Mar 8, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Greg Schmitz wrote:
> I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 Creative Design Premium and can't decide
> if I should upgrade to CS4. It seems to me that Adobe's asking
> price of $600 for an upgrade is "over the top." Will I get $600
> worth of improvement if I upgrade to CS4? I'd be interested in
> hearing from those of you that have upgraded to CS4 if you think the
> upgrade was worth the money. $600 is 2-weeks of work for me and I
> am loath to give it to some Silicon Valley wonk so that he/she can
> continue to drive their Porsche or BMW whenever they want to.