From: eric nelson [mailto:emanphoto@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:01 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: pyro and alternative processes

I tried to print some 4x5 PMK negs on Centennial POP (RIP :-( ) some time ago and they were extremely long exposures (way over an hour) and I didn't have much luck w/8x10 PMK negs on palladium either.

I had increased development for the 4x5's to accommodate the print process AND I had done the post process staining which has now been shown to only add B+F density and is no longer recommended.  The 4x5 negs do look very dense.

So I had 2 factors that probably made these negs unsuitable for "alt" and I'm sure many others back then may have taken a similar approach thus giving it a bad name and might be what you were remembering.

Take away the post process staining and they may work just fine, but I've not experimented with this in a long time.  Also pyrocat hd might work even better than PMK, but again that's untested in this lab anyway.  I'd be willing to try if it came up.

Eric