U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: ferric oxalic

RE: ferric oxalic

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: ferric oxalic
  • From: EJ Photo <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:21:42 -0500
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net;h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:Organization:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-index:X-MimeOLE;b=kfSK4xpKjifVl/c0JkKOOhQkptg3yDQU42fR7kjHkjn/ZkKgQzHRYPaoVi+hpd/ji/JOo8JclGmfSA0kV9QhaxtdTIT2k8KKT4ixPzlMmFeZMFl8/XfgADKDZbnyAbMaGBTkFqKWLlVAGSkEaSyfm3U48oqX4A9NjNKxeD6Qd7Y= ;

Hi all, When discussing the mixing of Ferric Oxalate, I find it best to
include ALL important information about your process. So that others can
understand what is going on you need to not only include the water type and
temp but everything you add and how you add it to the solution. That should
include supplier of the Ferric Oxalate powder. Some may assume that B&S goes
without mention but there are other suppliers and this is an international
list.

Typically, adding FO powder to heated not boiling water should get your FO
powder into solution within 24 hrs. Good range 110F to 140F, but remember
prolong heat will turn some of your ferric to ferrous which is another good
reason to add some Oxalic acid to your solution. The addition of oxalic acid
will not only aide in the FO powder going into solution, but it will also
keep your FO from turning into ferrous oxalate over the long life of your
solution causing fogging. You can shake and bake your FO bottle but you
should always plan on at least 24hrs before you plan to use it to mix it.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226