U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: muddy gum print--help?

Re: muddy gum print--help?

Charles,

Generally, the closer a paint at mass tone is in value to white, the
more opaque it will be. So, most yellows will be almost as opaque as
white while most darker violets and blues will be largely
transparent. The most transparent pigments should go on last OTBE.
Therefore, a general rule is to layer the sequence in order YMC. Of
course, when visually registering negatives, it is difficult to see
the completed yellow layer under another coat heavily colored by
orange dichromate, so many would alter the sequence by putting down a
pthalo blue or cyanotype layer first to aid later registration. I
personally would still avoid printing most yellows last.

I think your magenta is staining.

If you print and process a sensitized but unpigmented gum layer
first, it will act as a size without the need to harden with VOCs.

Joe