U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Michal Macku, Gellages.

RE: Michal Macku, Gellages.

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: Michal Macku, Gellages.
  • From: Jacek Gonsalves <jacek@jagnight.com>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 14:19:05 +0800

Hi Loris,

Thanks for the explanation. Though would you have any idea how he gets
each layer of glass ontop of each other?
Cheers
Jacek

Quoting Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>:

As the person responsible of bringing his work to Istanbul (along with
Sandy's, Keith's and Galina'a wonderful works), they're not carbon prints
on glass, they're gellages on glass. IIRC, gellages are made by lifting
the gelatine/image from the transparent plastic base of a particular Agfa
film (wasn't named by the artist but said that they aren't manufactured
anymore) using proprietary procedures and putting those on the substrate
they're going to be exhibited. Much like a polaroid emulsion lift.

Stunning, beautiful work indeed...

18 Nisan 2009, Cumartesi, 5:57 pm tarihinde, Marek Matusz yazmış:
Jacek

They look like carbon prints. You can make prints directly on glass by
exposing through the back of the glass or transfer carbon print to the
glass support. How big  is his work?

 I made some carbon prints on glass last year and was heading for a
similar project of making tricolor carbons on 3 separate glass plates
sandwiched togeter. You would see aligned picture only at a certain
angle, otherwise you would see colors separating. I never made it past my
first color. Hurricane Ike came and all the glass plates that I stored in
the fridge went out with all the food when we lost power for several
days. Never went back to work on it some more.

Marek