U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | tips for using dry pigment

tips for using dry pigment

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: tips for using dry pigment
  • From: phritz-phantom@web.de
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 02:14:12 +0200

i mostly use dry pigment for all my alternative processes. i started using it, because of a misconception that most alternative photo printers prefer it. later i learned that it just the opposite is the case. but actually i want to keep using it. it's way cheaper (i can buy 80gr of lamp black - which lasts a long time - for the price of on 15ml tube) and i already bought about ten jars. so far i haven't had any problems with printing gum (i put a little bit in a jar, mix it with gum and dichromate with a brush - no problems, no specks at all). but sometimes with carbon i get these specks (i'm not really sure if it's the pigment or the sugar in the mix (i use a rather high sugar content). i filter the carbon solution through a piece of nylon (? - the stuff women's stockings are made of), but still - mostly with the last tissue of the batch; of course the specks go down to the bottom.
my normal procedure is to first mix the pigment with a brush and a dash of water, then grind it with a brick and mortar, then put it into the gelatine + sugar solution. i tried grinding the pigment in a little bit of gelatine solution, but using water was better.
i once put a little big of alcohol (it's an old bottle labeled "brennspiritus" ("ethanol") i inherited from my grandfather, but i don't really know which kind of alcohol it really is, it's ages old) into the pigment mix and this had the good effect that the pigment sinks to the bottom, instead of swimming on top of the water. it makes the mixing a lot easier.
what else could i add that would make the mixing and grinding easier. i haven't added any alcohol or whatever to my pigment mixes for alt. processes so far, because i'm afraid it could interfere with the process.

phritz
Verschicken Sie SMS direkt vom Postfach aus - in alle deutschen und viele
ausländische Netze zum gleichen Preis!
https://produkte.web.de/webde_sms/sms