U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Truth Beauty book

RE: Truth Beauty book

Many thanks to Don for mention of The Online Photographer, which my normally obstructionist browser actually brought me to. I generally agree with Geoff Wittig's praise & blame, tho I'd probably be more extreme in both directions. (Having to go to the back of the book to find the medium, or what he calls the "form," of a print is beyond exasperating.)

It's awfully tempting to buzz up to Rochester to see this show while it's there... I was in fact fantasizing about a jaunt to Tokyo because I found the Japanese section (with its amazing gum prints) the most seductive & amazing of all... also entirely unknown to me previously. In fact I cannot believe the "Peony" print by Ori Umesaka, 1931. It's a gum print, it says, so sharp and contrasty (and delicious) I can't help speculating that it was "improved" in production of the book. (Believe it or not, that's happened even to me.)

What I'd also like to know is why can't they have these shows in NYC where they belong ?

sigh,

Judy