U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: I should have bought an Epsom but...

Re: I should have bought an Epsom but...

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: I should have bought an Epsom but...
  • From: Jean Daubas <jean.daubas@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:21:47 +0200
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:references:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:x-priority:x-msmail-priority:x-mailer:x-mimeole; bh=E3V+Z+nQZPEe4h2c2+mYwrobRsDeicLimq3e7TIO6WI=;b=M0Ahaso652/pZTmg4nhfYs0xf8pIGm/enVEnXZP9h/iH8DHZotCH0UZ+r49gshdxPgsqLa7CzUpQjwAzVASAIjXSC14Ld05l95H0Y9rChb7Y2JvOXga2893uBPatfh/JYKJX2wD7lPKdSJ5KI89Oz9iLXiWhRCHIGgWIUzud4ZA=

Hi Hellena !

I cannot directly reply to your question since my HP B9180 uses 8 different Vivera ink cartridges.

I looked at your printer manual on line to read what they say about the choice of inks combination
you will find info at page 28 /154 of the pdf manual; in England, you are considered as Zone 2 for the compatibility of cartridges.

If I were you, what i would do would be to make some tests with different combinations, using the test page functiunalities; see

If you make these tests on your transparent substrate, you will be in capacity to analyze the way the different inks settle on your film and to compare the opacity of various combinations.
Before doing these comparisons, do not forget that for producing good digital negatives on transparent film, you will have to choose probably a glossy photo surface as the printer media type setting. On my Hp 9180, i use  the  following setting : HP advanced paper , Glossy.

I do not know which method of producing diginegs you are using; I use the PDN system from Mark Nelson and in fact, opacity of black inks is not really an issue since the calibration tests are founded on UV blocking colored inks and negatives are "color negatives" ( different colours according to each alt process)

Hope it may help you,
Bon courage, Hellena,
Cheers from france
Jean
Jean Daubas, auteur-photographe
16 rue de Bourg-Sec
25440 LIESLE    (France)
+33 (0)3 81 57 50 13   et +33 (0) 681 531 289
jean.daubas@wanadoo.fr