U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Alt print on Glass?

Re: Alt print on Glass?

Reply.... by the way, hydroflouric acid is really nasty stuff to use and very caustic to the lungs.  I would use the carborundum method.
On May 18, 2009, at 10:51:13 PM, jefulton1 <jefulton1@comcast.net> wrote:

From:jefulton1 <jefulton1@comcast.net>
Subject:Re: Alt print on Glass?
Date:May 18, 2009 10:51:13 PM CDT
To:alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Carborundum is very hard and used for grinding tough stuff. You can
buy a carborundum block to aid in the
sharpening of knives and it comes in various grits.
A quality sandpaper of fine (600 or slightly less) grit like that in a
wet-or-dry type can give a slight texture
to glass. I use a grittier version to sand the edges of glass cut for
framing photographs.
Also, you can purchase hydrofluoric acid (of course wear gloves and
eye protection as well as a high quality
mask if you work indoors) to etch glass.
Jack F