U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Demachy and red chalk

Demachy and red chalk

Title: Demachy and red chalk
Recent discussion of Michallet paper prompted me to get a facsimile copy of Maskell and Demachy’s “Photo-Aquatint” paper. They recommend a number of pigments for gum printing, Most of the colours/pigments they mention are familiar, but second on their list of the most suitable, after venetian red, comes red chalk. I looked this up on the Web, but only found such things as red chalk drawings by (e.g.) da Vinci.

Does anyone know anything about red chalk? Hilary Page doesn’t seem to mention it in her lists of proprietary watercolours, nor is it in Cornelissen’s catalogue of pigments.

Best

Henry