U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Masa in sulfuric acid

Masa in sulfuric acid

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Masa in sulfuric acid
  • From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:00:55 +0300 (EEST)

http://www.loris.medici.name/masa_1M_sulfuric_acid.jpg

Left patch is Masa paper processed in 1M (roughly ~10%) sulfuric acid
(about 15-20 minutes), then neutralized in ammonia and then rinsed in tap
water. Right (marked) patch is unprocessed Masa.

As you can see, Masa treated in sulfuric acid isn't more translucent than
unprocessed Masa. The color is different (much much warmer and/or whiter -
bleaching?), the surface is different. (More textured - due water
processing or acid processing or both I'm not sure.)

Case closed. Verdict: I should have been concentrating on finding already
translucent paper instead of produce one! ;)