U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: question re: nuarc UV 26-1ks

Re: question re: nuarc UV 26-1ks

For what it's worth I mention that I had a custom-made contact frame from one of those special woodworking places, but the contact was nowhere near as good as from the vacuum frame in the nuarc & generally a pain to use. When I HAD to have another vacuum frame for the darkroom (2 steep flights down) I bought just a vacuum frame, from nu-arc as I recall. A fraction of the cost of the one with the plate burner -- ("AK47" comes to mind, but I think it's actually called "UV-26" something).

However - maybe it was NYC electric power, or something in the air, but I found the Nu Arc plate burner (bought new) required frequent (expensive) repairs... this that & the other kept burning out, up or over. The switch to UV bulbs on a Gralab timer was a great relief. No vacuum frame required. Print & neg go between 2 sheets of plate glass, with weights if needed (a gallon jug or two of water) on top. I also mention, for what it's worth, that exposure times in minutes for gum are pretty much the same.

J.