U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: question re: nuarc UV 26-1ks

Re: question re: nuarc UV 26-1ks

For what it's worth I mention that I had a custom-made contact frame from one of those special woodworking places, but the contact was nowhere near as good as from the vacuum frame in the nuarc & generally a pain to use. When I HAD to have another vacuum frame for the darkroom (2 steep flights down) I bought just a vacuum frame, from nu-arc as I recall. A fraction of the cost of the one with the plate burner -- ("AK47" comes to mind, but I think it's actually called "UV-26" something).

However - maybe it was NYC electric power, or something in the air, but I found the Nu Arc plate burner (bought new) required frequent (expensive) repairs... this that & the other kept burning out, up or over. The switch to UV bulbs on a Gralab timer was a great relief. No vacuum frame required. Print & neg go between 2 sheets of plate glass, with weights if needed (a gallon jug or two of water) on top. I also mention, for what it's worth, that exposure times in minutes for gum are pretty much the same.


On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Jeremy Moore wrote:

If you just want a vacuum frame then just buy the vacuum frame. Nu-Arc and
many other companies made them separately from the plate burners:

Here's an example of one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Vacuum-Frame-Vacuum-pump-Vacuum-forming_W0QQitemZ170331657535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a88ed53f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50


On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Paul Viapiano <viapiano@pacbell.net> wrote:

 I was just curious because a used Nuarc can be had for $100-200, as
opposed to a large AWB frame (20x24) or the like, and I figured mount it on
a cart, wheel it out, etc...

Of course, eventually it would be ok to use the head, too, but until I get
a dedicated circuit out in the garage...well, you see what I mean for now...