U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Printing on Aluminum plates

RE: Printing on Aluminum plates

Hi Rajul, thanks for the update.

To me sodium silicate sounds more plausible than gum arabic. As Keith
pointed out, unexposed gum will dissolve. Sodium silicate is a highly porous
material (when dry!) which is used as a glue. I put printing gum on Al
aside, since I'm more concentrated on learning casein right now; it seems
that casein is better for hard to print on surfaces like Aluminum. (Hint:
it's used in leather paints...) It's much more robust and sticky compared to
gum arabic. An example: I never managed to do a nice gum print on surfaces
sized with pure acrylic gesso (w/o adulterants), but casein likes it a lot!
I dropped using gelatin sizing for casein prints; acrylic gesso sized paper
is much much better; whites are better preserved - much less or no staining,
gelatin sized paper stains (or darkens if you like) considerably with
casein, and sizing is much easier, no hot bath, no formalin, dries faster...
Also, with aluminum, you risk more flaking/cracking with each layer. Since
casein is able to hold much more pigment compared to gum, it will give you
convincing blacks / darkness in less layers eliminating the risk.

BTW, I purchased my technical grade sodium silicate for USD 1,5 per 1000ml!
(Istanbul...)

All for now. When I'm confident about casein, will start to print on marine
grade plywood. There are 25 pieces waiting me to be exploited! ;)

Thanks again,
Loris.