U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Printing on Al - my experience

Re: Printing on Al - my experience

Keith,

The long delays in plate prep gave me time to attend to other must-do's. I persisted with Al in the hope that if I understood what was required, with persistence, I might be able to handle  other surfaces. It proved to be a welcome change from the paper routines.

As with gelatin, gum arabic forms a colloid with dichromates. Since unexposed dichromated colloids get washed off during development, I thought exposing the KD- containing ground layers to UV might prevent this. This proved to be the case. I used KD because I had a larger supply of it than of AD.

Sand flour is something I picked up at Fusion Glassworks Inc., a small outlet located in an industrial district of Kelowna. They cater to the needs of artists who work with glass. Tel. 250 765 8806; TF 1 800 663 5071(I don't know what TF stands for). Their website: <www.fusionglass.com> and email: <sales@fusionglass.com>. They might be able to suggest where you could try to obtain it in your area.
One packet of sand flour (1 kg?) was $6.95 Cdn.

Have fun with your Al stock!  Rajul