U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper - baby oil Digi Negs

Re: Paper - baby oil Digi Negs

Turps wouldn't be very good for this application because there will always
be a residue of the resins left behind.

More important, turpentine is one of the two most allergenic substances known for humans (the other being chrome).... After painting in a room handling and breathing turpentine for many years I became hyper allergic to that and MANY other allergies came along for the ride.

As I never had any sign of allergy before then, I surmise that the turpentine set it off... I'd wake up in the middle of the night covered with giant hives, and awful itchy rashes, until finally it was diagnosed. Now, needless to say, I don't enter a room where I know turpentine has been used within living memory...

I'd also suggest it's not worth the risk for anyone any time... There are other strategies... I can for instance use odorless mineral spirits, I do that with great care and in the smallest amounts possible (for instance, paper or rags used in wiping, are discarded ELSEWHERE) but it doesn't have the same allergic potential.... at least not in my studio.

PS. But if you do have that allergy, note that turpentine exists in MANY materials -- like shoe polish !

Judy