U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: theoretical gum question

Re: theoretical gum question

Paul Viapiano schrieb:
Same with single neg type gums, should we use a longer scale neg knowing that we're going to print 3 or more times at different times/ratios/etc...?
Paul
good question,
i've been wondering about that too. the use of curves would eliminate the use of different exposure times with different contrast performance.
maybe using a too long (for just a single coat) negative and multiple passes yields better results. when using curves, one always (?) tries to get the best possible result within the limits of a single coat.... and then usually (with gum) add more layers anyway.
so, if i'm going to make more than one coat anyway, why should i aim for a optimal neg for single coat?

(i hope this does not sound critical of certain ways of working. i'm just curious.)

phritz