U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum "stain" with zero exposure... etc.

Re: gum "stain" with zero exposure... etc.

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Tomas Sobota wrote:

Oh good grief Tom, you've got me speaking beyond my area of expertise again... Have a heart ! (Especially since I've never printed on glass.) BUT....

So what seems to happen is that the gum in these regions, as expected, is
washed away but for some reason a little of the pigment stays put.
I don't visualize this.... If the pigment is mixed with the gum, how (all) the gum, but not (all) the pigment is washed away...

Could be
some form of electrostatic binding, I don't really know.
I don't understand why no gum would remain in the *color* left on the glass, or how you could tell if it did or didn't. Certainly if you tried to paint with just pigment on glass, no medium (ie gum), you wouldn't get much image, unless you roughed up the glass (as far as I, the lay person in this respect, understand anyway).

BTW I call it "stain" because I don't think that it is stain in the usual
sense, i.e. pigment getting stuck between the paper fibers that will not
clear.
Tom
But you think it's pigment remaining on the glass when the gum has washed away. For all I know you could be right... but the ordinary mind may not grasp it, not right off, anyway.

J.