U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: was Miracle size for gum now tonal range

Re: was Miracle size for gum now tonal range

Yes, phritz, this observation corresponds with mine and with the observations of observant gum printers through more than a hundred years; more dichromate= a longer tonal range (more steps), less dichromate= fewer steps and a more contrasty print. And I think you've got the right idea, at least part of it, for why that's so.

See, you aren't at complete odds with gum at all, even though it feels that way at the moment; you do have a sense of how it works.
Katharine