From: "Loris Medici" <mail@loris.medici.name>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Gum tonal range (was Miracle size for gum)

For the sake of clearness I'd add that no one had made such a
translation as I understood the conversation. The subject was "what's
the *ideal* negative DR" to print gum, and when somebody says "gum
prints 2 stops", what I understand personally is that they're making
the assertion: "gum need a negative density range of log 0.6", which
is obviously a false statement. Gum is so flexible that one can print
perfectly from a negative with a density range 0.6, or 1.0, or 1.2, or
1.5, or even 1.8 as Marek shows, (fill the rest and in between), given
the necessary adjustments in emulsion formulation / exposure and
development are made. That's my whole point - which I'm sure you'll
agree. What's best depends on the practitioner and their particular
workflow / strategy of preference. Hence the (*)s to mark "ideal"
above; there's not an ideal DR in the practical sense. Especially
after some amnt. of experience...