U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa C

Re: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa CopyJet

Wow, impressive. 1400 and QTR together should make a nice digineg machine then.

Phritz, I don't know how 1400 and B9180 prices compare in your market
but I would go for 1400 *if I ONLY need it for making diginegs* and
B9180 *if I ALSO want perfect / durable positive prints*. B&W and
color prints from my B9180 are just perfect, better than anything else
I have seen before. As Jean noted it's pretty good for diginegs too,
but somehow more grainy than my old dye based 1290. (Acceptable to me.
May not be so for others... But please note that I'm pretty picky; so,
if it doesn't bother me, it's probably fine for many.) OTOH, I don't
get banding (in smooth hightlights) with my B9180 after 2 years of use
(albeit light!), but Epsons (comment limited to cheap ones) will
eventually show banding. Sometimes negligible / sometimes unacceptable
- depending on your luck. So beware; you may start cheap but don't
overlook the probability of paying more in the long run. (= By
replacing the printer early, an addition to what Don said about ink
costs...) B9180's carts are have bigger capacity than cheap Epson
printers' carts, but not too much. And if you don't keep the printer
clean you end up spending more for cleaning cycles instead of actual
prints.