U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa C

RE: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa CopyJet

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: printer recommendations? also "printer" thread, Vivera inks,agfa CopyJet
  • From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:26:50 +0200
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list

Hi Phritz,

- Ink: If you keep the printer clean it doesn't spend too much. You have to clean the sensor and foam pads once a month. If not, the daily cleaning cycles use too much ink. It's a vicious circle...
- Transparencies: Sorry, you have to use top grade ones such as Pictorico or Agfa CopyJet/SelectJet... Cheap transparencies won't work. Sensor strip and such is not absolutely necessary (albeit good to have); I put a thin (0.25mm) Yupo plastic sheet under the transparency material (w/o affixing the sheets) and all goes smoothly.

So, if you don't also plan to obtain Pictorico or Agfa SelectJet/CopyJet, then don't think about B9180 (or any other pigment ink printer), just look for dye based products. Those will work fine with cheap transparencies.