U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: speaking of printers...

Re: speaking of printers...

Since we are talking QTR arcana, I have to confess that one of the more unusual aspects of QTR is that the Windows version of QTRgui is much more user-friendly and intuitive for curve design than the mac version, which involves using a text editor to manually edit a parameter file when creating a profile. It's better than punch cards, but not by much.

Being a long-time Mac advocate, I have to hang my head in shame at this outrage against all that is fine, good and just in our world.

But all is not lost. If you have one of the newer Intel-based macs, you can get a copy of either VMware Fusion or Parallels, and run windows inside your Mac OSX workspace. That is what I do when I make profiles. I create the profiles using QTRgui in my cute little Windows session, and then drag the profiles across to my Mac desktop and install them in my Mac version of the QTR driver. The profile format is interchangeable between the two platforms. This is sort of digital version of cross-over voting.

clay