U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Another PVA question

Re: Another PVA question

keith,
yes, i think the pva stays put, but the exposed gum has trouble adhering to the ground.
when i tested the pva on wood (i think there was an acrylic primer beneath the pva, iirc), the image (single, first layer in yellow) looked fine at first, but the a gentle stream of water swiped it all off. it did not dissolve, but sheded off like a thin skin. i've never seen this with gum either, only with carbon.
the dilemma is that single layers develop beautifully and can even withstand a gentle stream of water in development (which is not always the case with gelatin sizes). i just can't put another layer on top. smoothing the red layer rips chunks out of the yellow layer, the more brushing, the less image stays on the layer beneath.
btw. i tried adding calcium carbonate (marble dust) to the mix (in a 1pva + 1cc ratio +5water ratio). the outcome was horribly stained and ugly and the adhesion of the did not improve much.
the paper i used was one with a very smooth surface.

regards
phritz

Keith Gerling schrieb:
phritz,

In my case the dried layers are very sturdy while applying more gum, even with vigorous application. It is after the print has soaked that the gum gets soft. This goes against everything I have seen with gum. Usually, if you get a good hard layer of gum, nothing short of bleach will soften it. The strange thing is that the gum seems to be affected but not the PVA. Case in point: Over a layer of yellow I coat red. Not used to PVA, I get sloppy and let an air bubble leave a red mark undeveloped. Put the print back in the water, but when I take it out there is red pigment where the bubble was. I brush away the red (didn't need it there anyway) and the yellow comes with it. Later, I apply blue and it develops fine. No staining where the blemish is. As if the PVA was still there. So why did the yellow get soft?

keith