U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: tricolor gum question - yellow

RE: tricolor gum question - yellow

Paul,
I was gone for several days and can not believe how many messages were posted!
There were already some good suggestions. In addition you might try to change your Qiun red to somewhat more muted like PR175 (deep scarlet from Daniel Smith) or even PBr25, permament brown (Daniel Smith), both very transparent.  PBr25 is my favorite organic earth colour.
Marek

> > > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Paul Viapiano
> > ><viapiano@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all...
> > >
> > > After making several tricolor gums, I am feeling that
> > >my yellow layer is a bit on the heavy side. Where I am
> > >expecting muted yellow-browns in my final print, I am
> > >seeing a brighter shade slightly on the garish side. I see
> > >this with oranges as well. Where I expect a more terracotta
> > >color I am seeing a brighter orange.
> > >
> > > How can I correct for this? Should I mute the yellow by
> > >doubling the gum arabic in the pigment mixture? Or expose
> > >that layer less?
> > >
> > > I can also change colors...at the moment I use Cad
> > >Yellow Pale, along with Quin Red and Phthalo Blue RS, all
> > >Daniel Smith pigments. Maybe toning the Cad Yellow down
> > >with something like Raw Sienna will mute the vibrancy...
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Paul

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.