U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: question re: old photographs late 1800s-early 1900s

RE: question re: old photographs late 1800s-early 1900s

Unless the photo’s were toned with a sulphide based toner and this is breaking down releasing sulphur?

From: John Brewer [mailto:john@johnbrewerphotography.com]
Sent: 06 December 2009 14:35
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: question re: old photographs late 1800s-early 1900s

Hi Paul,

I wonder if you friend could describe the photographs in more detail so we could work out the process and therefore the chemistry used. Perhaps you could also ask if negatives are in the same storage container. Negatives were for some time made from cellulose nitrate which is pretty unstable. If there are negs there it’s worth separating them from the prints and putting in a metal tin. Cellulose nitrate negs are VERY flammable. What are the photographs stored in? I wonder if anything was added to the container to deter bugs?

The main processes used around that time were albumen and gelatine silver and I can’t think of anything that would chemically break down and have such an effect. There is at least one conservator on the list so maybe s/he could chime in.

Best,

John.