[alt-photo] Re: PVA addn. to pt/pd soln.

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Wed Dec 16 15:09:34 GMT 2009

I see thanks. BTW, another change besides the procedure of drying paper is
reducing the PVA...

Now, I'm not completely sure what PVA does here, but in my knowing, (in the
context of pt/pd) bleeding is mostly caused by bad absorption of sensitizer
into the paper's fibers. If the most of the sensitizer sits on top of the
paper instead of being trapped in between the paper's fibers, you'll loose
some of the image in the development/wash water, which is more pronounced in
the highlights, because the lost / remainder ratio is higher there. COT320
is already a pretty hard paper, therefore additional sizing / emulsification
additions should worsen the situtation. (Logically.)

I'd try to double coat the same amnt. of sensitizer diluted 1:1 with
distilled water, or to add few drops of distilled water (the max. amnt. that
will let you coat the paper without floating it and necessitate too much
brushing - to not risk abrading the surface), or adding a little surfactant
(Tween, Ilfotol?) to the mix...

Anyway, since you're OK now, all above is not more valuable than mere
rhetoric...

Regards,
Loris.