[alt-photo] Re: AUUGGHH... Restarting and new decisions... Need advise.

Productions productions at johnesimmons.com
Wed Dec 30 10:41:15 GMT 2009

I've just bought a new digital camera, and it's much better than my
4-year old one (and not nearly as expensive as what you're
contemplating).  I've just bought Adobe Lightroom2, and it seems much
more flexible for photography than Photoshop, though Photoshop still has
uses.  If you know how to look at a photograph, I think Lightroom will
help you get a digital image that looks the way you want.  I think most
digital photographers still try to make photos that look like digital
photos. And flatbed scanners have gotten much better.  Some of the guys
at largeformatphotography.info have been using flatbeds at home to
produce their commercial images.

That said, I still carry around my 8x10 and print in albumen - largely
to get away from a computer. I enjoy the old process.  But I've also
gone through a few months where I was injured and couldn't carry the
thing, and, since I develop in my bathtub, I couldn't get down to do
processing.  You have to do what you're able to do.

Check out hybridphoto.com.  It's a site specifically for making film
images, then arriving at a digital print, or digital internegative.

Good luck.
John