[alt-photo] Re: AUUGGHH... Restarting and new decisions... Need advise.

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 30 21:45:22 GMT 2009

Hey David,

I'm intrigued with your questions and only wish I could seriously
contemplate whether to buy a Leica M9 or a medium format digital camera.

I have a Canon 5D, which has been terrific for when I'm being paid to
photograph people.  It's fast, does the job well enough, and-- in the
end-- everybody seems satisfied and happy.  I recently rented the
Canon 85mm 1.2 lens for a job, and it was a dream.  I really loved it
and loved the results.  Honestly, it made me like the camera better--
which makes me think I just haven't been using the right lens.

For my own artwork, though, I rarely use that camera-- mainly,
because-- in the end-- I just don't like the format. I find myself
cropping to square, or something close to it, all the time.  (I never
actually liked the 35mm format, either, though I have had an M6 for
years and love it).   I tend to still use 4x5 film for my 4x5 pinhole
cameras-- and medium format film for my other cameras-- In fact, I
recently purchased (from a guy who went all digital all the time) a
Mamiya 6, with a couple of the lenses that accompanied it, and it is
one amazing camera (and the lenses give spectacular results).  I
really love using that camera. I scan my negatives and make larger
digital negatives for alt process work.   I do believe that a great
flat-bed scanner (and they are out there) works really well, at least
for my purposes.  I think a drum scanner would be serious overkill--
at least for what I do.

I'm not at all averse to making digital prints, either.  (I probably
shouldn't say that, as one could possibly go to hell for making that
statement on this list).  But I do believe that the digital prints
made from scanned negatives are often more impressive than digital
prints made from a digital camera.  The digital prints made from
actual film don't seem to have that flat 'digital look.'  The owner/
manager of my local photo lab here told me a long story once about why
digital prints look so flat, compared to images made with film--  His
reasoning was way too technical for me, so I forgot most of what he
said as it went way over my head-- but it seemed to make sense at the
time.  I have actually seen quite beautiful digital prints, but I have
found that those who learned how to make prints the old-fashioned way
(in the wet darkroom) tend to also know how to make prints on the
computer.   An excellent printer and scanner-- as well as superb
paper-- surely helps.  Mostly, though, what we tend to see, I think,
are the results of enormous numbers of people who never learned how to
make a print, either the old-fashioned way, or the digital way-- and
they seem to be overly enamored with Photoshop (especially the over-
sharpen and saturation tools).   But I've made some digital prints
that I think are gorgeous (if I do say so myself!), and I've certainly
seen some that are amazing-- compelling and impressive, both image-
and print-wise.

I understand that Canon's latest digital camera (still too expensive
for me) now produces the 'look' of film in the print (not offering
that flat digital look), and lot of folks think you'd be hard-pressed
to see the difference as to whether the print was made from film, or
straight from the digital camera.  My issue is-- several thousand
dollars later, and upwards to $10K  or more if you're talking an M9--
and you're STILL essentially working with a 35mm, or small format
camera.  That makes no sense to me.   If I had the money, I'd be
getting a medium format digital camera, for sure, but I would never
pay thousands for a small format camera, and a format I really don't
like.

I still use (color) film and have an Epson flat-bed scanner which is
wonderful and works really well.  Maybe I'm too easily impressed, but
I don't think so.

Anyway, not much help here-- but given that you seem to have the
available funds-- and, by your own admission, an arm that doesn't work
as well as it used to--  my free advice is to buy a medium format
digital camera.  You'd still have to make digital negatives, but they
would be first generation negatives.  I'm sticking with film, but only
because I can't afford what I'd like.  :)   I just hope they keep
making it.

That's my 2 cents.  Good luck!

Diana