[alt-photo] Nelson Gold and TF-4

Robin Dreyer publications at penland.org
Thu Apr 1 16:01:08 GMT 2010

I just finished reading an old thread about hypo-alum toners (including
Nelson gold) and the need to fix after toning. (So I'm assuming it's OK to
post this silver-gelatin related question here.) There are several
references to using an acid fixer (for five minutes!). As I use rapid fixer
and (mostly) TF-4, I wonder if anyone understands enough about what's going
on to say whether there's any problem with going to an alkaline fixer after
toning in Nelson and fixing for the normal amount of time (which would be
one minute with TF-4).

I have done this and it certainly stops the toning (I've forgetten to re-fix
after Nelson, so I know what that looks like). But that old thread makes me
wonder if there's something else I can't see that might make normal fixing
in TF-4 a problem.

thanks,

Robin