[alt-photo] Re: A PVA postscript

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Fri Apr 2 21:08:16 GMT 2010

FWIW, I don't use Gamblin PVAc Size but a PVAc glue product with a
syrupy concentration. (Presumably considerably more concentrated than
the Gamblin product.) I dilute the glue 1+4 with water and apply
thoroughly to non-shrunk paper. Works perfectly with both Fabriano 5
HP and Fabriano Artistico HP. Fabriano 5 surface is softer and
nappier, when compared to Artistico - pretty different. Works equally
well with both... We did 8-9 layers w/o additional sizing and no (or
barely-negligible) stain.

Anyway, I wanted to say maybe the concentration of the size is too
much in your case; why not diluting more? (Such as 1+2 or 1+3...) What
is the strength (and bloom) of the gelatin sizing you were using? I
think you have to match the effect/strength of the new sizing to the
old one if you do not want to change your workflow. (Obviously, except
for the sizing step.)

Good luck and thanks for sharing...