[alt-photo] Re: Pictorialism show - or, not the worst place to ink a bromoil

C.Breukel at lumc.nl C.Breukel at lumc.nl
Tue Apr 6 09:15:58 GMT 2010

I visited said exhibition yesterday, definitely very worthwhile!

Kees: I did not realize it was you in the movie! I only read your
message today, and my kids were distracting me (they were enjoying the
audio tour in the Rembrandt huis very much, but after that their
concentration was over..;-)..) Could enjoy the exhibition but no time
for the movie alas..saw a glimpse of you inking though..

Btw I was struck by the fact that a lot of prints were (direct carbon
prints..

Check it out if you are able!

Cor

Dutch
> photographers searching for the Rembrandt atmosphere in early
photography
> in 100 images
> >  Jacques Verschuren
>
> Thanks for mentioning this Jacques,
>
> There's also an english version:

http://www.rembrandthuis.nl/cms_pages/index_sub.php?url=actueel_en.php&p
at
> h=1,0,0&nav_lang=en
>
> The exhibition shows indeed a wide selection of Dutch pictorialist
> photographers from the late 19th and the early 20th century. The
> exhibition consists of prints from the Leiden University Special
> Collections. Their photocollection is the oldest institutional
> photocollection in the Netherlands. An important focus of the
collection
> has allways been technique oriented. Thats why there are  large
numbers of
> gum, platinum carbon and bromoilprints  on display in the
Rembrandthouse.

> I have been at the opening, last wednesday, and if anyone is going to
the
> Netherlands it's absolutely worth a visit. The Rembrandthouse is the
house
> Rembrandt worked and lived. You  can also visit the house and
Rembrandt's
> studio where he painted many of his works.
>
> If you visit the exhibition don't miss the introduction film on
display
> there. In this film you can, among other information, see me inking a
> bromoil. And where was I asked to do this? Yes... in  Rembrandt's
studio!

> If you have some more time left, don't miss another interesting
exhibition
> in Amsterdam. At a walking distance from the Rembrandthouse you can
visit:
> Amsterdam 1845 - 1875, The First Photographs, on display in the
Municipal
> Archives. The exhibition is around a series of early photographs
Benjamin