[alt-photo] Re: Pictorialism show - or, not the worst place to ink a bromoil

Kees Brandenburg ctb at zeelandnet.nl
Tue Apr 6 10:04:46 GMT 2010

> Btw I was struck by the fact that a lot of prints were (direct carbon
> prints..

Yes, I was a bit amazed too. It could have been Höchheimer Gummi Drucke, a process that was used by dutch pictorialists and was published and made commercial by Alfred Höchheimer.

http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/sepia/exhibition/iapp/Glossary/H_08.htm

And you might have seen also some Erwino prints. The photographer Berssenbrugge was one of the few people with a liscense of this process by Erwin Quedenfeldt. But this is not a direct carbon technique. Here a gelatin relief image on a glass plate is printed with watercolor paint (by hand) on a sheet of paper.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwinotypie

-k