[alt-photo] Re: Getting started with gum dichromate printing

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Thu Apr 8 21:10:14 GMT 2010

Hi Tom,
I think you've got two questions here.

Others have given good answers for your explicit question:  where to
find good basic instructions for learning gum.   I learned from
Keepers of Light and a couple of other things that I kept open on my
worktable while I was learning, but that was long before some of
these more recent sources were available. I know that people have
found Judy's articles useful,  I think Peter Blackburn's how-to
articles on alternativephotography give solid information and advice,
and there's lots of useful information online, for example there are
some good tutorials here:

http://www.billymabrey.com/Tutorials.htm

But Paul has it right:  the best way to learn to print gum is by
printing gum.  Any set of instructions will get you started and as
long as they aren't too specific, can't take you too far wrong, but
there's no substitute for practical experience with your own set of
variables (equipment, paper, pigments, gum, etc etc).

Your question, however, raises another question in my mind:  if your
ultimate goal is to print color carbon, why start with gum?  This
idea doesn't make sense to me.  Gum and carbon are quite distinct
processes;  each has its own requirements and difficulties, so
learning gum isn't a step toward mastering carbon, and taking on gum
will involve some time and difficulty that will delay your getting
started with carbon, if that's what you want to do.   You shouldn't
take the time to learn gum unless you really want to do gum; if
carbon is what you want to do, then it seems to me the most efficient
way to get there is to start printing carbon.  There are specialized
forums for carbon printers online, and maybe someone here could point
you to them.   Not that I want to discourage anyone from doing gum,
but I would never suggest gum as a first step toward something else.
Good luck,
Katharine