[alt-photo] Re: Getting started with gum dichromate printing

colin at colinflanarygraham.com colin at colinflanarygraham.com
Thu Apr 8 22:57:30 GMT 2010

On 4/8/2010 2:10 PM, Katharine Thayer wrote:
> Your question, however, raises another question in my mind:  if your ultimate
goal is to print color carbon, why start with gum?  This idea doesn't make sense
to me.  Gum and carbon are quite distinct processes;  each has its own
requirements and difficulties, so learning gum isn't a step toward mastering
carbon, and taking on gum will involve some time and difficulty that will delay
your getting started with carbon, if that's what you want to do.   You shouldn't
take the time to learn gum unless you really want to do gum; if carbon is what
you want to do, then it seems to me the most efficient way to get there is to
start printing carbon.  There are specialized forums for carbon printers online,
and maybe someone here could point you to them.   Not that I want to discourage
anyone from doing gum, but I would never suggest gum as a first step toward
something else.  Good luck,