[alt-photo] Re: NuArc UV units question

Jeremy Moore jeremydmoore at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:24:34 GMT 2010

No, it's in the head of the unit, you have to disassemble it a little to get
to it. It's also adjustable, I believe there are directions floating around
the web on how to adjust the timing of your NuArc if you Google it. I
adjusted it so 0.1 unit = 1 second when at full blast every time I put in a
new bulb. Now when I'm getting weird things going on I can look and see how
much this time has drifted due to bulb age or defect--not scientific, but
not a bad correlation to quickly see if someone odd is going on. They can
also be due for a wipe down if they get some crud built up on them.

But because it's adjustable and it's a unitless quantity it doesn't help
much to compare. Regardless of how many units it takes for you to expose
your image it's taking about 7 minutes more exposure with the NuArc than the
sun. I don't think that's a drastic difference, though as the sun in your
area could be much stronger in the correct wavelengths for gum than your
NuArc. My NuArc is slower to print with than the sun and my
UV fluorescent tube box.