[alt-photo] Re: New Platinum Prints

David Hatton davidh6180483 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 10 20:42:21 GMT 2010

Etienne,

> the characteristic lush smoothness one expects from Pt -- I suspect because
> you're using a contrast agent rather than making negatives with the proper
> DR for the process (generally, somewhere between 2.1 and 3.0).

This is something that's been concerning me lately. I've been
preparing my negs for palladium digitally using Mike Wares method. The
reason for this is that my printer (Epson 1400) won't allow me to use
any other method as the inks are not very dense. I manage to get
satisfactory gum prints but I'm thinking I could be missing out on
something in my palladium experiments. My exposure time using BL tubes
is 60 seconds. The prints look ok but nothing special. Could this lack
of negative density have something to do with the way they look? If so
why?
Regards
Davidh