[alt-photo] Re: Epson 3880 and Snow Leopard

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Mon Apr 12 14:17:39 GMT 2010

On 12 apr 2010, at 15:33, Christina Anderson wrote:

> My negs are pale easter egg colors and printing Mark's CDRP they do not hold back light even for gum!  That means, no platinum for this woman.

Chris,

As far as I know the inks in the 3880 are the same as in the 3800, only magenta is replaced by vivid magenta. But your problem could be the Adobe/Apple/Epson bug.

Try this:

Open Mark's CDRP and check if it has a profile assigned to it (I think it has AdobeRGB assigned). If not, go to to te Edit menu and choose 'assign profile'. Choose a profile from the list (AdobeRGB for example). Assigning a profile does not change the data in the file. Then send this profiled file to the printer. In the print dialog check 'Photoshop Manages Colors' instead of 'No Color Management'.

Then check again what document profile is assigned (i.e. AdobeRGB). You can see it mentioned in the first line of the 'color management' section in the print menu next to 'Document profile'. Check 'Document profile' radio button and not 'Proof'. From the dropdownmenu for output profiles choose exactly the same profile as the Document profile (i.e. AdobeRGB if this is assigned), choose 'relative colorimetric' as rendering intent and uncheck the 'Black Point Compensation' box. This results in a file that is sent unchanged to the printer, and the CS4-Epson-Snowleopard bug is mislead.

See it as a new workflow for sending files unaltered to a printer. Works allways, even in windows ;-)

Hope this helps,

kees