[alt-photo] toning a kallitype with LiPd or CsPd

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Apr 13 13:25:30 GMT 2010

Dear All,
Now onto other things aside from my printer woes.  I got asked this question and do not have any clue as to the answer. I guess because I just make pt/pd if I want them instead of toning silver processes...and I don't do the Ziatype process.

> Can I get the equivalent of a Ziatype by toning a kallitype with LiPt or CsPt salts rather than by including the LiPt or CsPt in the emulsion?

Does, in fact, the toning replace the silver as it does when toning a BW print--you get silver selenide or silver sulfide--or is it only partial or not at all?  Has anyone done it and can a chemist say what does happen at the chemical level?  If I remember, Don Bryant, you toned VDB with pt/pd didn't you? Is it a way to get a poor man's platinum perhaps?
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com