[alt-photo] Re: toning a kallitype with LiPd or CsPd

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Tue Apr 13 14:33:13 GMT 2010

In a few words, Pt or PD replace silver. But this is only a too short reply.
Just in a few days I will have the results of a pt-toned kallitype analized
by XRF (X Ray Fluorescence), which will let me know if my (supposed) full
toning was effective in replacing silver.

>> Can I get the equivalent of a Ziatype by toning a kallitype with LiPt or CsPt salts rather than by including the LiPt or CsPt in the emulsion?
>
> Does, in fact, the toning replace the silver as it does when toning a BW print--you get silver selenide or silver sulfide--or is it only partial or not at all?  Has anyone done it and can a chemist say what does happen at the chemical level?  If I remember, Don Bryant, you toned VDB with pt/pd didn't you? Is it a way to get a poor man's platinum perhaps?

About the equivalence between a true platinum or ziatype and a toned
kallitype, don't be too hopeful: the hue depends also on that of the
original silver print, and with platinum you can achieve a warm bkack
instead of pure black.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com