[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Apr 16 13:21:27 GMT 2010

Sam
Very interesting question.

I used Quik Print  in the late 1990's.  Quite a bit actually.  I finally threw out the kit just a couple years ago.

The substrate seems to me to be "Yupo-like".  I in fact still have the sheets of paper.

I would be hard pressed to think it was gum/dichromate.  It was premixed, so any theories of dark reaction would have to go out the window.  The bottles were clear plastic, so any theories of light reaction would have to go out the window.  It brushed on very liquidy, just like water and not half and half, so the gum would have been very dilute.

Whatever it was, it was sensitized in the bottle.

I would agree that it was akin to casein, or, at least, when the print was made it was bright and opaqueish, almost like the pigment was gouache, or mixed with white.

Was it patented and if so, can you check to see if the ingredients are listed?

In development it behaved nothing like gum printing.

Shoot, if I had saved some of those bottles, someone could analyze them. But I am sure someone has.

Two people who might be in the know-- was it Bea Nettles (wasn't she married to the guy who invented it or am I mixing stories drastically?) who used it so much?  And what about Dusan at the Getty; I wonder if he has analyzed one?

There was a process called CreArt by a guy named Perrera which looked similar--don't know if he ever manufactured and distributed it years ago, but there was talk of this new patented process that was coming out, very hush hush and no talk as to ingredients.

After four days of a grant writing workshop my brain is MUSH but I'm sending anyway in hopes there is some sense in here.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com