[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Peter Friderichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 16 03:35:25 GMT 2010

Sam,

I have made some "gum" prints sensitized with ferric ammonium
citrate. Use those quotes because in actual fact I have used casein,
and previously gelatine that I modified to remain liquid at room
temperature, although I am now working mostly with casein because it
has such excellent clearing and can manage a  high pigment load,
although it has its own temperaments as well. I have a few of these
scanned and have posted them at
http://picasaweb.google.ca/pgfriedrichsen/AlternativePrints#

Essentially the sensitizer is mixed in as you would dichromate.
Exposure time is equivalent to gum dichromate. The print must then be
immersed in a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide (0.1%) is
sufficient. (Oddly, this system does not work with Gum arabic) I then
flow water over the print for about 1 minute and then hang it to dry.
Dynamic range is about 5-8 steps on a 21 step stouffer wedge. That is it.

If anyone wants to go this route, be prepared to spend a lot of time
figuring things out because there really is little literature to go
by with the exception of a study done by Halvor Bjoerngaard of Chiba
University, and it is quite informative. He coined it The Chiba
system although it was suggested more than 50 years ago, and the
Autotype company had a patent for this approach for use in making
photographic stencils back in 1952.

This low toxicity system is what I now use pretty well exclusively,
and I believe it is capable of producing excellent results, just not
right out of the box.

Peter Friedrichsen