[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Sun Apr 18 19:24:41 GMT 2010

Hi Peter,

> I use this type of gelatin as I would gum but usually I use a 20% wt in solution versus the traditional 30-40% for gum.

And how did you modify or hydrolize the gelatin to keep it liquid? Do you use warm water to develop the gelatin print?

> I did come across the Ulano name as well under Bernard Ulano of Diagravure film -not sure if this is related to the Ulano that you mention. Re patents, yes many do not work. I have found this out on numerous occasions.

Bernard Ulano was the one who filed the patent with the combination of a simple and complex ferric salt. Diagravure was, as far as I could find a subdivision of Ulano. About Bernard I could not find anything photo related. The patent is here:

http://www.google.nl/patents?id=ii4CAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=RELIEF%20%20IMAGE%20PROCESS%20UTILIZING%20A%20SIMPLE&pg=PA74#v=onepage&q&f=false
It worked, but was very unpractical because of the immediate hardening if the ferric mix was not consistent. The sensitivity gain was nonexistent or very low. So I decided to stay with the Ferric Ammonium salt.

When I mailed about this with Halvor some time ago he found another patent for the Diagravure Film Mnf. Corp. filed by Kosar (!) himself. So they probably knew each other.

-k