[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Peter Friderichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 16 21:56:17 GMT 2010

Hi Kees,

I use this type of gelatin as I would gum but
usually I use a 20% wt in solution versus the traditional 30-40% for gum.

That is good to hear that you found an
alternative to the agar, which looked to be
somewhat cumbersome. When I free up some time, I
will want to give your approach a run. These iron
salts are pretty interesting, some harden, some
do not, others soften gelatin with light etc...
yet others harden gelatin with light when
oxidized. I did come across the Ulano name as
well under Bernard Ulano of Diagravure film -not
sure if this is related to the Ulano that you
mention. Re patents, yes many do not work. I have
found this out on numerous occasions.

As far as a name to suggest. I tend to be biased
from the chemistry world which tends more to
attach names that have some relation to the
composition,such may be along the lines of
ferrichrome. I assume the zerochrome name implies
zero dichromate? I am somewhat indifferent overall.

Peter Friedrichsen