[alt-photo] Re: new MFA program in alt!

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Sun Apr 18 22:09:08 GMT 2010

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Christina Anderson wrote:

> I am really excited about this.  As we all know, alt is fairly
> underrepresented in contemporary photography.

Meanwhile (uh oh !) I'm trying to figure out how you teach "contemporary
photography" without teaching so-called "alt"....!!! That is, what is
there to "teach"?  I suppose I have an attention deficit disorder or an
avoidance syndrome in the matter... but, as far as I know, "contemporary
photography" consists of connecting your digital camera to an inkjet
printer and pressing the button... (A while back I mentioned that more
than 3/4 of the contemporary prints for sale in some recent issue of
whatever it was -- fundraiser of some kind -- were classified as
"inkjet.")

So, as I say, what ARE they teaching in photography courses these days? I
know there are so-called "alternative workshops" -- even teach some, but
not for years in a certified *academic institution.*  So OK, OK, they can
teach handling a camera, exposure, history (probably great, with lots of
countries, processes and geniuses), theory (LOTS of "theory"), etc, etc.,
while showing slick prints of recent wars and bare asses. But what do they
teach for process????

PS. But don't tell me "go to photo fest" to find out -- New Yorkers live
in an alternative universe... "reality" is expected to come to us (however
long we have to wait).

PPS. And before someone rats me out, I admit, I've had a NEW digital
camera sitting here in its original package these many months.  I bought
it because my other one takes too long to focus for grab shots.  So why do
I resist? Um, er, well, because... because .... I like the old one.

Finally, about folks sneering at the "fetishism" of "process" -- .... how
do you say "sour grapes" in photo talk?

J.

.... One friend said at Photo