[alt-photo] Re: new MFA program in alt!

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Mon Apr 19 13:05:47 GMT 2010

Dear Judy,
I think you're preaching to the choir here.

However, in deference to my illustrious digital colleagues, they do teach extraordinary amounts of Photoshop, and the biggies is color management workflow--how to get the print to actually look good when printed out...large....in color...

Not that I never teach digital.  I teach digital negatives extensively in my class and this semester I also taught InDesign in my Nonfiction class so they could all do magazine layout through MagCloud, which I consider the next best thing since chopped liver. Or is it white bread.

But ironically, this past month I realized I had never in all my days printed out a digital print as an end product for my work.

So when the theory-meisters start talking about the fetishism of the object, I am unapologetically a fetish queen.
Chris

Judy said:
> but, as far as I know, "contemporary photography" consists of connecting your digital camera to an inkjet printer and pressing the button...
and
> So, as I say, what ARE they teaching in photography courses these days? I know there are so-called "alternative workshops" -- even teach some, but not for years in a certified *academic institution.*  So OK, OK, they can teach handling a camera, exposure, history (probably great, with lots of countries, processes and geniuses), theory (LOTS of "theory"), etc, etc., while showing slick prints of recent wars and bare asses. But what do they teach for process????
and